Tuesday, July 23, 2013

DIY Foaming Dish Soap

I love foaming dish soap, but I hate the price tag.


However, I have found a way to make DIY foaming dish soap. That's right. Homemade and less-expensive. It's easy-peasy lemon-squeezy!

I’ll never buy the foaming stuff in the store again—unless I need another foaming pump bottle to refill with my homemade version!

My bottle of commercial foaming dish soap says I should only fill it with that same brand of soap and that no other soap will work. Well, that’s just silly! What they mean is, “Please spend all your money on our product." I think not.

Let’s get started.

Supplies:

  • 1 foam pump dispenser—buy foaming dish soap and re-use the foaming pump bottle!
  • Your favorite dish soap. (I prefer Dawn.)
  • Water.
Three things. That's it. Did I mention this was easy?

Putting it Together:

  1. Unscrew the top from your foaming soap pump bottle.
  2. Fill the pump bottle 1/3 of the way with your favorite dish liquid. 
    • (I use about ½ cup in mine, but other soaps require less because they are more concentrated or ‘thicker’. The amount will vary based on the size of your bottle, the thickness of your dish liquid, and your preference. Experiment until you find the amount you like.)
  3. Slowly fill the bottle up to the fill line with warm water. Be careful not to fill it so fast that you create bubbles inside the bottle. 
    • (You can fill with water first and then soap, but I have found that the residue of soap in the bottle will still create bubbles if you fill it with water too quickly.)
  4. Replace the pump/top.
  5. Gently turn the bottle upside down a few times to mix the soap evenly with the water.
  6. Enjoy your DIY foaming dish soap at a fraction of the cost of the commercial stuff!
This is so inexpensive, and the same method can be used with shampoo and hand soap. All you need is the foaming dispenser. Experiment with the ratio to find your preferred consistency.

P.S. This stuff is ah-mazing when traveling. Foaming dish soap requires very little water for washing, so it works well in hotels and public sinks when you need to wash bottles, sippy cups, or even your kids on the go!

No comments:

Post a Comment